Here you can get the inside scoop on our dogs and read other trivia from the Saarlooswolfdog community.
Our Kerberos has become a man... perhaps a Daddy too !
On 27th March we have had a mating between Kerberos Miraja and Harawyn Polderwolf Draakje Pixie.
Kerberos: DM carrier, Dwarfism free, HD A, ED 0/0, ECVO 06/02/2021 all clear, MyDogDNA profile.
Pixie: DM free, Dwarfism free, HD A, ED free (vet's declaration), ECVO 26/01/2021 all clear, MyDogDNA profile.
inbreeding coefficient: 1,17% on 5 generations, 53,38% on all generations
loss of ancestry coefficient (AVK): 90,32% on 5 generations.
Genetic health (GHI) & diversity (GD):
- Kerberos: GHI 95, GD 28,4%
- Pixie: GHI 93, GD 26,9%
in collaboration with Kennel Harawyn-Polderwolf
Daya plays a small role in the 2nd season of the popular Dutch-Belgian TV-series 'Undercover' - te be viewed on Netflix and the Belgian channel één. The shoots were done in August 2019, but now the episode has finally aired !
Episode 8 'Roadblock' with: Tom Waes, Anna Drijver, Frank Lammers, Elise Schaap, Ruth Becquart, Wim Willaert, Sebastien Dewaele, Rico Verhoeven ánd Daya of course.
Watch it in film & tv or check out photos for the 'making of'.
Daya and Kerberos star in the new advertising campaign of lifestyle brand 'MOOST Wanted'.
Our two grey 'wolves' did their best in photo/film on a sunny afternoon. At first the models found them very impressive and were somewhat afraid, but once the day progressed our Saarloos gained their full trust.
The photo series can be found in photos and the video in film & tv.
For the advanced course Canine Kinesiology & Movement our Daya was practice-dog-for-a-day so we could make a complete movement analysis of build, gait, flexibility in joints, sinews & muscle tone and neurologic tests (reflexes, sensibility, motor skills).
And then you are super proud when your renowed teacher (Marcel Nijland - Canine Kynologisch Advies) calls her "the star of the day".
It's not a small thing running laps all day, people pushing and pulling at you on a table and 'hitting' you with a hammer...
I love her more every day.
Last week Daya had her first MAG test. MAG translates as Socially Accepted Behaviour and this method is used to evaluate the character and behaviour of a dog. A therapy dog for example must pass the MAG annually and receive a declaration of good health by a veterinarian. It's a difficult test mentally and we are very pleased that she has PASSED ! She is now allowed to act as a reading dog to children, attend lectures, pay visits to schools ...
The MAG-test takes 20 minutes and consist of 16 parts - 8 with the owner present and 8 without the owner (out of view) *** :
1. the dog is touched by an artificial arm
2. a piece of cloth is pulled up and dropped next to the dog
3. a fake cat is pulled passed the dog
4. an alarm goes off for 10 sec next tot the dog
5. some cans with pebbles inside are dropped next to the dog
6. three persons enclose dog & owner with 10 sec eye contact
7. dog & owner are enclosed faster for 10 sec with eye contact
8. the dog is approached by a (fake)dog for 20 sec ***
9. a person greets the dog in a friendly way with an artificial arm ***
10. a person sounds a bell for 20 sec at 2m distance ***
11. a person opens and closes an umbrella at 2m distance ***
12. an artificial child is pulled towards the dog and pauses for 20 sec ***
13. a persons touches the dog with an artificial child ***
14. a person creeps up on the dog with 20 sec eye contact ***
15. the same person touches the dog with an artificial arm in a friendly way ***
16. the owner returns to the dog holding an artificial child.
The official certificate can be found in accreditation.
We have recently started an specialised course canine massage therapy at Syntra AB in Antwerp.
What makes it more fun is the fact that the course is taught by none other than Martine Leijssen of Paws and Balance, who happens to be our own canine physiotherapist. She has tremendous experience as a therapist, chiropractor and behavioural expert ánd is used to handle our particular Saarlooswolfdog breed.
Daya came to class as practice dog and even though she needed to get used to the face masks, she had no issues with students touching her.
She slept through most of the class actually, while we struggled with the theoretical part. She is such a sweetheart.
After class we had a nice walk in a new nature preserve close to campus with the suitable name 'De Wolvenberg' (Wolf Mountain).
Due to stricter measures in various countries, the follow dog shows and clubmatches have been postponed or even cancelled.
It may take a while before you can see the Lykos dog in action.
- 99th Int'l Dog Show Luxemburg (L) 14-Apr-2020 > cancelled;
- RSCE Winner Madrid (ES) 23-Apr-2020 > 17-Dec-2020 > cancelled;
- World Dog Show Madrid (ES) 24-Apr-2020 > 18-Dec-2020 > cancelled;
- Dog Show De Utrecht (NL) 10-May-2020 > postponed 2021;
- VDH-SRHA Kampioensclubmatch (D) 24-May-2020: reduced in size;
- Dogshow De Baronie (NL) 06-Jun-2020 > postponed to later date;
- Frühjahrssieger-Ausstellung (D) 12-Jun-2020: cancelled;
- NVSWH Kampioensclubmatch 14-Jun-2020: cancelled;
- AVLS Kampioensclubmatch 20-Sep-2020 > cancelled.
Before you start thinking of some Frankenstein horror movie... I'm talking about our new domain name lykos.be. Let's be honest, it's always handy to have a website that bears the same name as your kennel, isn't it? Not! A short search in the Belgian DNS database resulted in: domain name not available. Darn it.
With "No you have, yes you can get" in my head, I gathered my courage and sent a message via whatsapp to the mobile number registered to the domain name. Was lykos.be still linked to this number and would they be willing to transfer the name? A few days later the phone rang: the owner had stopped all activities and would be happy to hand it over. Yes! We still have a few practical issues to deal with, but from end of May this website will have its own page instead of a redirect from Greenterior.be.